Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2007

It’s just Cerebral Palsy

It could be way, way worse. And here is how, but don’t expect a list of other disabilities.

What could be worse than having a disability like, say...... Cerebral Palsy?

Here are some things:

Being mean-spirited and spiteful

Being angry at your life and fate for most of your life and missing out on all the beauty.

To lack compassion and empathy for others

To be ruled by fear

To hate

To indulge in rage especially against another

Being a parent, who holds back their love from their child.

Constantly focusing on what’s lacking and not appreciating what is working

To be ignorant (and I don’t mean IQ).

To never be of service to another human being or animal that needs it, especially if you have been asked for help.

Ok – so there is a start to a list of things that would be way worse than having a disability or parenting a child with disability. It is a list of things I have seen in people and myself sometimes chronically and sometimes infrequently. Ellie has CP but does none of the things on this list.


Who is better off?

16 comments:

Miracles said...

Well put. I could not agree with you more.

Kathryn said...

Miracles - your comments inspired it! I hope it helps to know you are not alone in this.

Kathryn ;-)

23wktwinsmommy said...

Love this post! What a great point! p.s. can't WAIT to take Serena and Edwin to the New England Aquarium! I LOVEd it there as a kid and once wanted to be a marine biologist! So happy Ellie had fun!

Kathryn said...

Thanks! Yes -when they are old enough they will love it I am sure! We will go again for sure.

Mel said...

Again, another well written post! I couldn't agree more:)

Lisa said...

Love this. Thank you!

Lori said...

Not only do I agree wholeheartedly with your post, but I wanted to add what a darling daughter you have! That picture is so darn cute. She really is captivating!

Kathryn said...

Thanks everyone. She is captivating! I like that to describe her - of course I am bias. ;-)

Jacqui said...

Kathryn,

I was going to ask this post to be joined to the list of bloggers against disablism - though i didn't want to do it without your permission. I love this post an there are already a couple of blogs in there with more than one post. What do you think?

Jacqui

Kathryn said...

Jacqui - Thanks! That sounds good!

Kathryn

Imperfect Christian said...

Truer words have not been spoken. When we were waiting to hear about our daughter's adoption, I was discussing it in public, someone overheard us and said, "You're adopting?!?! That's awesome!" I got excited and started telling this person about my hopeful daughter and her extra chromosome. Their face dropped and they said, "OH, she has Down syndrome? That's horrible?"

But it's not. It's not horrible at all. I'd rather have Down syndrome than a closed mind. There are terrible things out there and disabilities aren't anywhere near the top of the list!

Jodi said...

Amen!

Jodi said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! Thank you! I can't even count the number of times I've told people that, "It's better than being mean." when I overheard someone calling somebody else "stupid". I can think of few things worse than going through life as a complete butthole.

Anonymous said...

Great post, GREAT blog! I'm finally working my way through all that great material from the BADD postings. My brother also has CP and though I'm not naive to the realities of his challenges, I often wonder why people act like this is the end of the world? He's not a terrorist!!! After 27 years our family has developed superior eye-rolling skills. :) I'm so glad I found your wonderful blog.

Kathryn said...

Thanks everyone!